Tuesday, April 17, 2007

ICU: Toxican na!...

I was so exhausted that time. Though, our stay in the Intensive Care Unit at our based hospital Davao Doctors Hospital was quiet exciting yet nerve-wrecking for the first time of my existence as student nurse because of the strange scenario presented that juncture. I was amazed with the new world of mechanical ventilator, telemetry, cardiac monitors, defibrillator, ET tubes, NGT's...Plus, the unconscious, fragile patient... Huha!!!..Who would expect that the foreign unit would be loved by a neophyte student....and that was exactly me. Well, I was expecting much of the twist and turns of that exposure in the ICU.A week prior to the duty I was apprehensive and anxious to be assigned in the special area of that competent hospital to render care and with the state-of-the-art facilities that are owned and currently used for their continuing service to the populace. We often called that hospital to be a DOLLAR HOSPITAL for an admission cost much and even paying a 400+ bucks just for a check-up lately when I was with my experience to be hypersensitive to Clindamycin given to me as my maintenance medication for my sinusitis. I opted not to pay for that and insisted that we are free for that medical check up as an incentive as part of our affiliation fee but I was a failure for my arguments were not granted. Moving on to the topic… (LAUGH!) When I arrived at the ICU proper I was wearing a lavender-colored-scrub suit which I missed much to wear for a long time. Then, basically stand at the NOD for the endorsement. I lost my existence for minutes due to NOD’s senseless reaction as I positioned myself beside him (maybe I was just so oversensitive to feel that I was just a non-existing creation beside him). I waited for a long time to be human again for I tried to let him feel that I was there beside him needing much of his attention to orient me about the patient health status but he just flew like a roaring wind going alone without a trace. But that was just fine! I jotted down notes and tried to scribble the bulky chart I have in my hand. But still at the end of the doing the scribbling moment I was not able to know my patient.

As I entered the room of the patient I was so apprehensive. I can’t even imagine gazing the patient with NGT and number of electrodes attached to his chest area hooked in the cardiac monitor. I looked my partner and said this patient was absolutely admitted due to VA (Vehicular Accident) she just nodded. That conclusion came up in my mind due to the presence of multiple abrasions in his face and in his lower and upper extremities plus the splint in her left arm and the Philadelphia collar attachéd in his neck. BINGO!!!I was right with the confirmation of our clinical instructor. Still few hours had passed after the thorough orientation by our very knowledgeable and competent clinical instructor, Rogelio O. Franco, RN; I don’t have the will to touch my patient for he was looking so flimsy and delicate. He was obviously unconscious with the GCS of 7-8. I hide the feeling of uneasiness in front of my CI as he instructed me and my partner to do the NGT feeding. I pretended to be an expert and qualify myself as a skilled SN in that simple task designated to us. As we have started to hold the asepto-syringe after the auscultation in the abdomen he instructed us to pour out the osteorized milk in the tube, letting it flow inside the nasal area down to the stomach. Yahu…We did it! Yet he commented us in a friendly manner that we were eaten by our tension. He said,” Even my grandma can do that!” I answered him back, “I s your grandma Sir still alive?” He responded, She was six feet below the ground!(LAUGH!) He was able to burst into laughter after that and even my friend Ella wore a smile. Later on we were administering the NGT independently without his supervision. We were so pleased with that little effort we did for the welfare of our patient. We were able to administer the medications of the patient such as Phynetoin, Ulcin, Unasyn, Acetaminophen, etcetera via NGT. We end up the day with fulfilled hearts and satisfied conscience. On the 2nd day, though we were so exhausted for not taking a good sleep that night due to the making of NCP galore (take note 3 NCP’S per day…)I was able to manage the stress and keep to carry out the task. I have observed also various procedures done to patients such as the hemodialysis, ultrasound, MRI, and lot more…We were able to wear a beaming smile that time with my friend Sugar even doing the procedures such as the WALANG KAMATAYANG VS taking…tentenenentenen….hehehe.

As the unit was getting so toxic, I was quiet busy to carry out all the tasks. Though we were so organize in doing the charting, medicating the patient, giving the NGT feeding, VS taking and all the hell we have had that made me exhausted and drained out my mind to think about everything inside. After taking our lunch within 5 minutes we proceeded immediately in the resting area where I was so busy complying the requirements.

TOXICAN galore na!!!

I rested for a while a headed to the patient’s room and keep on looking at the patient and pleased that he was getting well and responsive. He was with his GCS OF 10 quiet beautiful to think that I was part of his improvement and wellness. I conversed with my partner Sugar while she was doing the charting. It was getting well until such time that she was worried and panic. GOTCHA!!!DOCUMENTATION ERROR NA! (FLUNK!!!) I was also worried for her. She was near tears yet tried to be calm but can’t hide the effect. I strived to cheer her up but I was a failure for she was so toxic. Until such time that we had almost ended up the duty when she never converse with me anymore and be blamed for that. I stopped for a while and think if that was really my liability. But I realized that that was not wholly me though I admitted that time that I did contribute for I was not able to anticipate with that unfavorable documentation error. I confronted her and uttered, “Sug nasuko ka naku? Unsa man daiy gusto nimo malipay ko nga na IR KO!!!Bluggz…Boggs…Pakkk…Toggsss…I was shot dead that time…And I preferred to hide in silence than defending myself…

The ICU exposure was really a remarkable event in my existence as student nurse for I was able to learn and grasp much learning yet it was also depressing to create gap with our friendship with Sugar. Lesson to ponder: Mud washes off much more than insult!

(to be continued....kay magbuhat paku iug 3 NURSING CARE PLANS...Errr...TAKE NOTE!Daily 3 NCP's...Toxic jud kayo...But I learned much...more than I have expected and wished...)

No comments: